About Me

I am originally from Arkansas, but I've been living in Atlanta since 2005. I have a B.S.E., M.S.E., EdS, and now I'm working on my certification in Instructional Design and Technology. I have been teaching for six years but with all the changes in education, I'm looking to change my career to curriculum and instruction and technology. I'm expecting my first child, a boy, due on Valentines. I'm very excited about that.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Definition of Distance Learning

Distance learning is a topic that can be viewed from different perspectives. We can view distance learning through the educational aspect or the business aspect. The bottom line is that distance learning is impacting our global society and every individual must keep up and stay abreast of current trends in technology. I define distance learning as a group of learners obtaining education thru the use of technology. According to Schlosser & Simonson (2006, p.1), distance education is defined as institution-based, formal education where the learning group is separated, and where interactive telecommunications systems are used to connect learners, resources, and instructors (as cited in Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S., 2009). I do not know why the definition is always changing. I would say the definition depends on the individual who defines it and their knowledge of distance learning. No matter how the term is defined, it is centered on learning through technology.

Before taking this course I never thought of distance learning and how it was defined. I always said I was taking online courses or getting a degree online. In undergrad, I took a course through distance learning where I was in one city and the instructor was in another. It was a live feed through the television where I could see the professor on the screen and he could see the students on the screen where he was located. Since taking that course all of my college classes have been directly online. Therefore my view of distance learning has been centered on just that, online learning. I forgot that distance learning is more than just using the computer to learn and receive instruction. This week I learned many new things about distance learning that I did not know before. I did not know that distance learning courses began in 1833 through mail correspondence in Europe and by 1873 was offered in the United States (Distance Learning Timeline Continuum, n.d.). The timeline showed the history of distance learning and how it originated in the 1800’s and advanced all the way to the 21st century. Learning the foundation and historical aspect of distance learning from this week’s resources gave me a better understanding of the term and the ability to redefine the word. Now if asked to define distance learning, I will say it is a form of education where the teacher and learner are separated by space and time. Communication through email, teleconferencing, and written text make up for the physical absence between the teacher and learner.

Every individual has their opinion about distance learning based on knowledge and personal experience. This mode of learning does not work for all learners. The individual must be aware of their learning style and must be tech-savvy if distance learning is their choice to learn. Distance learning has many benefits and challenges and must be put on a balancing scale. Distance learning will require change in order for growth and success to occur. Depending on the organization that uses distance learning, they will have to make changes depending on their needs. With technology advancing everyday and more traditional colleges offering distance learning courses, I think it will completely take over education in the future. Working people will continue to choose this style due to balancing home and work. In order for working people to continue their education, distance learning will provide the best benefits for them. Businesses will have to keep up with distance learning as well in order to train employees and compete with a global market. I see a mass takeover in the future with distance learning. With modern technology and the ability to handle all of your business from home using the internet, traditional classes will continue to decline. Distance learning has been around for many years and will continue to increase educational opportunities for learners.

Multimedia Program. (n.d.). “Distance Learning Timeline Continuum”

Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2009). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (4th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson
                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment