About Me

I am originally from Arkansas, but I've been living in Atlanta since 2005. I have a B.S.E., M.S.E., EdS, and now I'm working on my certification in Instructional Design and Technology. I have been teaching for six years but with all the changes in education, I'm looking to change my career to curriculum and instruction and technology. I'm expecting my first child, a boy, due on Valentines. I'm very excited about that.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Learning Theory & Instruction Reflection

When I think of the term learning theories and instruction, I think of ways people learn and how instructors create learning environments that make all learners successful. Prior to taking the course Learning Theories and Instruction, I was already aware of learning theories because I am an educator. Learning theories are very popular in the field of education and most instructors form their philosophy of education on learning theories. The problem with instructors forming a philosophy of education is that it is their personal belief and may or may not apply to other learners. Since taking this course, I have learned that an effective instructor does not use one learning theory alone; all learning theories intertwine and work together. I now have a deeper understanding of the importance of learning theories. I now understand that the instructor must recognize each theory and incorporate it into the curriculum. In today’s society, it is obvious that not all students learn the same way and in order for success to occur, different teaching approaches are necessary. Instructors cannot use single learning theories in their course. The way the instructor designs the curriculum and the way they teach the curriculum can affect the student’s learning outcome and academic success. Innovative technology is on the rise and it is important for people to stay abreast of the latest trends in technology. I have learned how to make the connection between learning theories and educational technology. Connectivism is a recent learning theory for the new digital age and makes a connection between technology and the real world. I have also learned about the role motivation plays in learning. Adult learners have a need and desire to learn different from young college students. Young college students have environmental factors that prohibit them from being motivated in class. Adult learners base their learning off real life experiences and quickly finish their coursework because most of the time it is work related. Most adult learners take online courses to further their education or increase their pay. This course has given me a new understanding of learning theories and the vital role each one plays in the field of education. Even though I took courses during college that were in a traditional setting, since taking online courses, I know that I am an online learner. I think I learn best using the constructivist approach, but since I have learned about all the learning theories, I can no longer base my learning on constructivism alone. As I further my career, I will always have the background knowledge of learning theories. I will always be able to meet the needs of all learners and make modifications and accommodations when necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment