About Me

I am originally from Arkansas, but I've been living in Atlanta since 2005. I have a B.S.E., M.S.E., EdS, and now I'm working on my certification in Instructional Design and Technology. I have been teaching for six years but with all the changes in education, I'm looking to change my career to curriculum and instruction and technology. I'm expecting my first child, a boy, due on Valentines. I'm very excited about that.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Selecting Distance Learning Technologies

For this week’s assignment, I chose example one on the collaborative training environment. This scenario entailed a new automated staff information system being purchased for a major corporation and had to be implemented in six regional offices. There would be a problem with the implementation because the staff was located throughout all the different offices and could not meet at the same time or in the same location. As an instructional designer, I would have to deliver a training workshop to each of the six locations keeping in mind that each office must share the same information as well as ongoing collaboration. Completing this task would involve distance learning due to the fact that each office was in a different location and communication would need to occur to effectively deliver the content. The scenario did not include the number of people being training but I am assuming that if was taking place at the regional offices, that the managers would receive the training and more than likely redeliver the information to the staff at each location. In distance education, it is imperative that educators think about how communication will occur and how to apply experiences that will promote effective and efficient learning. More than likely, a variety of techniques will be needed to provide equivalent learning experiences for all students (Simonson, Smaldino, Albright, & Zvacek, 2009, pp. 94). The only information that I have is that the staff needs to share information thru documents and screen captures and online collaboration is necessary. I could use the old- fashion method of using powerpoints and giving everyone a copy to follow along as I read each page, because I know that is not effective and would not work for a major company. Before implementing the training I would give a pre-assessment to get some feedback on what the learners already know about the content being delivered. Following the training, I would complete a post survey to make sure learning occurred and areas of improvement. In order to deliver this new staff information system I would use a learning management system such as a Blackboard. Discussion technology would be integrated through the Blackboard and could take place asynchronously since the staff could not meet at the same time or in the same location. I would use the web software such as Elluminate or WebEx because it is an online learning environment with voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), video, and collaboration options that allows teachers and students to interact as if face-to-face ( The Technology of Distance Education). This software would allow me to effectively deliver the new staff system to all the regional locations and everyone would receive the content they needed to redeliver to their company.


Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2009). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (4th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson.

The Technology of Distance Education.(n.d.). Multimedia Technology.Retrieved November 21, 2010 from Walden University.

No comments:

Post a Comment