About Me

I am originally from Arkansas, but I've been living in Atlanta since 2005. I have a B.S.E., M.S.E., EdS, and now I'm working on my certification in Instructional Design and Technology. I have been teaching for six years but with all the changes in education, I'm looking to change my career to curriculum and instruction and technology. I'm expecting my first child, a boy, due on Valentines. I'm very excited about that.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Communicating Effectively

How did your interpretation of the message change from one modality to the next? This assignment was very interesting in how a person perceives information. A person can convey the same message using email, voicemail, or face-face but I’m going to interpret it differently based on the way I view things and my personal experiences. My interpretation of the messages changed based on my personal experiences. Email is the main source of communication on my job, so I take emails serious when someone sends them to me. In the video, the email was written documentation of what was needed, so the person receiving it couldn’t say they did not get it, especially if a read receipt was put on the email. Since text messaging was created, I don’t talk on the phone anymore. I would rather text than talk. I do not like checking voicemails because it takes to long to listen to them and I just find it to be a hassle. I think the voicemail in the video was clear and Jane was firm about what she needed. It was a friendly voicemail. Often times, when someone is giving me information face-to-face, my mind tends to wonder somewhere else or I tune them out. Sometimes we start conversing about something totally not related to the original conversation. In the video, the woman did not look serious at all, even though she was asking for papers that she needed to meet her deadline.



What factors influenced how you perceived the message? My personal experiences and what method of communication is based on what I use the most on my job and everyday life. Since I use email all day, every day, the way I communicate tends to gear towards any type of technology. We live in such a technology advanced work that we now tune out verbal communication. In my opinion most Americans don’t talk or listen to one another anymore.


Which form of communication best conveyed the true meaning and intent of the message? I would have to say email because as I mentioned before, when a message is written, it becomes documented that you received the message.


What are the implications of what you learned from this exercise for communicating effectively with members of a project team? I learned that the same message can be conveyed differently and after that it still depends on how the other person receives it. Communication can be formal or informal whether it’s email, voicemail and face-to-face. Perception is a key component in communication.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Brandie,

    I enjoyed your post and respectfully disagree with some generalizations. I work mainly with different disability populations and for people with reading disorders or who are blind. Auditory is the best for them not text. Now on the other hand using technology to change text to auditory is common for me. I agree with the email but for documentation of the communication. The idea of read receipt is just not used enough in today's business and education. I like it because it makes the receiver aware that the sender is tracking the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandie,

    Thanks for your insights. It is amazing how differently we responded to each mode of communication. Erica suggested in her blog that “....effective communication is a blend of all these different modalities with special consideration to the message and the preference of the receiver” (2011). As I continue reading the blog posts and comments this opinion seems to be proved correct.

    When reviewing the three modes of communication in this scenario, I personally prefered the voicemail message because it allowed me to hear the inflection of the request as well as to replay the message if needed. The face to face message was too informal and if given in the middle of a busy day, easily forgotten. A voicemail can be checked when the receiver is ready for the message as opposed to over the cube wall in between meetings. I agree with Portny Mantel, Meredith, Shafer, Sutton, & Kramer (2008) suggestion that team members “Confirm in writing the important information that was shared in informal discussions” (p.357). In this case the recipient was bogged down in an unrelated meeting so a well-written concise email should have followed any the face to face request.

    Though I normally prefer to receive emails so that I can refer back to them, to me the email in the scenario was too informal and unclear. It seemed to be a train of thought whose meaning could be misinterpreted. Portny et al. (2008) also suggest written communications do not “Allow the intended audience to ask questions to clarify the content, meaning and implications of message being sent” (p.358). Because of this, emails must be much more precise than face to face conversations.

    Anita

    Erica Fecko's Blog. (2011). Communicating Effectively. Retreived May 21, 2011, from http://ericafecko.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/communicating-effectively/

    Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brandie,
    Good post! You took a different twist to the interpretation that I had not thought of. In my interpretation I talk more about emotions. I completely agree with how you ranked the types of communication through your personal experiences, well done. Initially, I was thinking that email would not be the best choice because it sounds like Jane is upset or angry (maybe even a little desperate). As you noted, it would be one of the better sources to use because it is written documentation that may help Jane if he does not get the reports to her on time.

    ReplyDelete