About Me

I am originally from Arkansas, but I've been living in Atlanta since 2005. I have a B.S.E., M.S.E., EdS, and now I'm working on my certification in Instructional Design and Technology. I have been teaching for six years but with all the changes in education, I'm looking to change my career to curriculum and instruction and technology. I'm expecting my first child, a boy, due on Valentines. I'm very excited about that.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Distance Learning Reflection

The question asked is what you think the perception of distance learning will be in the future. According to Dr. Siemens (2010), distance learning will have a positive perception based on the growing acceptance as well as personal experiences of learners. He states personal experiences with distance learning are becoming more meaningful due to communication. Traditional students have learned that they can have meaningful relationships thru online communication. I can agree with Dr. Siemens and say distance learning is going to overtake our global society. I say this based on my personal experiences and knowledge of technology. I can only imagine what the world will be like ten to twenty years from now. I think the world will become dependent upon technology and every individual will need to have an advanced background in technology. I recently bought an IPhone 4 and I am amazed at what all this phone can do. It is like anything you need is at the touch of a button. Technology is used in the business world, social world and educational world. Education is not what it use to be in the past.


Distance learning has become a popular method of learning for all simply due to the fast paced world we live in. I think people are dealing with so many issues such as employment, family, school, etc., that finding things that are quick and convenient is satisfying. Is distance learning going to grow? The answer is yes, in fact, it will continue to gain popularity and make education more widespread than ever before.

There has been a vast growth in the amount of knowledge and information being given to people all over the world. Along with that, there has been increasing emphasis on the use of information for decision making rather than just memorization. The goal is to prepare future leaders through educational and professional excellence. This is starting as early as elementary because the mission of our school is to prepare all students to be academically and socially successful in a global society. I interpret that to mean we must keep up with current trends in education which includes technology in order to prepare students for what’s to come in the future.

As an instructional designer, proponent s for improving societal perceptions of distance learning will include roles and responsibilities and how the designer adjusts to change. Motivation and learning styles are also proponents for improving societal perceptions of distance learning. The roles and responsibilities must be outlined at the beginning of the course. The designer must design the course to meet the needs and learning styles of all the learners. The designer must have background knowledge of students experience with distance learning and motivate all students in order for them to be successful in the course. It is vital for the designer and learners to be aware of where distance learning is going and stay current with technological trends and changes in distance learning.

I would be a positive force for continuous improvement in the field of distance by making sure that the ADDIE model is followed when designing programs. The ADDIE model should always be used because it is a guide that helps instructional designers plan effectively. In order to be a positive force other factors need to be addressed as well such as the learner, the content, the method and material and the technology. Online learning is not difficult it just takes motivation and determination.

References

Laureate Education. (2010). The Future of Distance Education. [Video]. Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=4603379&Survey=1&47=6354370&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=1&bhcp=1&BrswrOK=1&PrevRef=http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn%3FCourseID%3D4603379%26Survey%3D1%2647%3D6354370%26ClientNodeID%3D984650%26coursenav%3D1&submit1=Continue

1 comment:

  1. Hello Brandie! I just wanted to let you know I will be continuing to follow your blog in this class as I was in our last class.

    ReplyDelete